CAN I UNDERTAKE THE MOULD TESTING MYSELF TO REDUCE THE COST?
Yes, we have self-test kits which we will send to you with step by step instructions. You then send them back in the envelope provided and in return you will receive a full Laboratory Report identifying the mould species and informing you if it is toxic. You will also receive specific H&S advice and decontamination guidance.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED A PROPERTY ASSESSMENT REPORT OR A MOULD TEST?
If you know exactly what is causing your source of mould, you probably don’t need a report. If you have fixed the source of moisture (ie; plumbing leak, external cladding leak or condensation) it would be recommended to undertake the mould test. This will confirm if you are dealing with a toxic species which will require a different decontamination process to non-toxic. The mould test takes the guesswork out of the removal process as you know what you are dealing with and you can prepare your H&S and protective clothing accordingly.
HOW DAMAGING IS MOULD TO OUR HEALTH?
Young children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to Asthma and respiratory diseases. Even non-toxic mould species can trigger allergens creating coughs and flu-like symptoms. However the black toxic mould (Stachybotrys) can cause incurable respiratory diseases.
HOW COMMON IS TOXIC BLACK MOULD (STACHYBOTRYS) IN NEW ZEALAND?
There is a surprisingly widespread distribution of toxic mould in New Zealand. Stachybotrys is commonly formed within wall cavities and will spore once it penetrates through the wall lining and dries out. Due to the decades of direct fix cladding and the resulting ‘leaky buildings’ issue, moisture ingress is common in wall cavities and toxic black mould is regularly encountered.
WILL THE PROPERTY ASSESSMENT REPORT AND LABORATORY REPORT BE CONFIDENTIAL?
You will be employing us so the information provided is your sole property. We will only distribute information to other parties if requested in writing otherwise everything is dealt with complete confidentiality.